miércoles, 17 de agosto de 2016

Cognitive Development



What I knew

Believe it or not I was a teenager too…long time ago. But I can still remember the weird way of my thoughts. I’m at the age where I look myself in the past and ask “what was I thinking?” why reacted in that way or why I was so rebel? I never thought that the answer of these questions will be finally revealed in the Teaching Practicum II. The answer: I was normal. I knew that adolescence is just a stage where your hormones take control of you and that people call you “immature” because you cannot handle situations like an adult. I also knew that in somehow my brain needed to change and that I was in the perfect age to learn and acquire information that could help me in the future. These ideas were just the point of the ice berg. There is a huge amount of information about how the stages in adolescence make an internal change, in this case the cognitive development. The only thing I knew it was that adolescents cannot think and make decisions as an adult, just because they had not lived and stored experiences.

What I learned

 Cognitive development involves neurons, brain structure, cognition and emotions. Jhon Santrock (2010) stated that “Neurons are nerve cells, which are the nervous system’s basic units” (p. 91). Neurons allow a process called Myelination (the speed of how information travels, resulting in a higher quality of thinking). Adolescents’ reactions are very slow; however, they will react faster until their brain has been completely developed.

Also, neurons are connected to the brain’s structure. The most important structural changes in the brain during adolescence are found in the prefrontal cortex, corpus callosum and the amygdala. The prefrontal cortex helps us to make decisions, judgments and the control of our feelings.  Is it possible to say that adolescents are competent at making decisions? They have the skill to do it; however, they are not perfect decision makers as adults. It is totally normal because they are not using the prefrontal cortex yet. They are using what we called Limbic Area of the brain. Teenagers react without thinking, make excuses, they do not have control of their emotions like anger, anxiety, sadness, and so on. This is caused by the amygdala located in the limbic area that is the seat of emotions (p. 92-93).

Furthermore, in the cognitive development is necessary to emphasize the Pruning process. This is a natural process where the brain eliminates unused information. It is not teenagers fault if they do not remember what they have learned in previous lessons. They are forgetfulness not because they want; it is only that their brains are in the transition of short-term memory to long-term memory.

 What I will do as a teacher

Knowledge is a powerful tool and as a teacher I need to take advantage of what I have learned, it is not necessary to memorize some technical words but I need to understand them and apply it in my classroom. As a teacher, I know that I have to be patient with teenagers. I do not have to be frustrated if they are struggling with the productive skill.
·     If I have students who have difficulty remembering what they did the previous class. Games are a fantastic idea for them. For example: “The Race Board” I can divide my class in two different groups. They need to write as many words as possible (depending on the topic you want to reinforce) in three minutes. As the game it says, it is a race where the first group who has more written words will be the winner. This activity will help my students who are still in the short-term memory. Through games the learning process will be more meaningful for them.

·         Adolescents hate homework. If I am in this scenario I have to ask them to complete a worksheet where the tasks motivate them to learn. For example, students need to create a video where they need to express likes and dislikes about pop culture, or students need to write a paragraph expressing their opinions about “Drug Legalization”. It does not matter the topic you use to catch their attention, what it really matters is that they will be attracted to the topic and they will be forced to use any grammatical structure to express their opinion.


·         If I have a “misbehave teenager” I will not isolate him/her. On the contrary, if you put that teen as an example or you delegate a role for him/her, trust me, this teen will change because he/she will feel part of the class.  As a teacher, I do not have to isolate any student or label them as lazy, rude, or dummy. They may have troubles at home and they do not need to be treated bad in the class too. My suggestion is that we know why and how teenagers behave, and if we want to be a great teacher, our job needs to be reflected in how well we treat our students.   


Reference

Physical and Cognitive Development in Adolescence. Student Edition. Chapter 11. 2016. Rretrieve from: http://highered.mheducation.com/sites/0073133809/student_view0/chapter11/index.html

Santrock, J. (2010). Adolescence. New York: McGraw-Hill.



5 comentarios:

  1. Hello Karla, I really like how you explained the way you face the difficult in class, and believe I will take into account activities that you posted to achieve the lesson objective in the class, you encourage me to look for more activities to using in a future.

    ResponderBorrar
  2. Hello Karlita, I was reading the part of your blog that explain the Cognitive development in teenager, and something that really caught my attetion and really love it. It is the part that says " If I have a “misbehave teenager” I will not isolate him/her". As you said, we as teachers have to help students to feel comfortable in our class since, there are many cases where teens have many problems in their home, in their social groups etc, and we need to help them. We need to create a space where students can feel that we can support them, we can give our support to make students feel that they have someone that cares them. Moreover, I love the activities and strategies that you present to make students feel motivated. I will take into acount these activities and I will put into practice. Great explanation Karla!

    ResponderBorrar
  3. Hello Charlotte, let me tell you that your blog is amazing and I really enjoyed reading it. Well, personally I knew that puberty happens in girs and in boys and I have clear all the process in girls, but I did not know that also in boys the hormonal changes are present like spermarche as you have stated here, so thank you for sharing this relevant imformation.

    ResponderBorrar
  4. Greetings, I shall say I do like your viewpoint about looking the best way to give students a task in which they feel interested by cause of knowing perfectly they wont pay attention at developing boring topics.
    At using attractive task we as a teacher can encourage pupils to use their new high thinking skill by asking them to infer about the result of any situation. Besides, that practice can lead students to know that any decisions will affect you positively or negatively to their future.

    ResponderBorrar
  5. Hello, Karla I like your blog all your ideas are really good and I agree with your point of view.Also, the activities that you suggest are amazing and every teacher can take them into consideration and apply them in the classroom because they are meaningful and interesting for students.

    ResponderBorrar